Our just-closed ‘Burning Question’ poll asked ‘Are cashback promotions or direct deals via retailers a better option?
The result was that 68 percent opted for direct deals while 32 percent favoured cashbacks. One retailer wrote in to say, ‘I find cashbacks frustrating as customers will always ask why we can’t just apply the discount at PoS, thereby avoiding lengthy claim processes that can take months to appear in bank accounts. Having said that, when Olympus ran their cashback scheme a few months back, I did see a spike in sales from that brand. So it’s a double edged sword.’
– But not all retailers in all cashback promotions are created equal – the devil is in the detail! Here’s what a customer has to do to claim the most recent Canon cashback from the Canon online store:
– The cash back amount will be issued to the Eligible Claimant automatically in the form of a discount off the item purchase price at the online store checkout webpage.
That is, all they have to do is – well, nothing really, just buy something from the Canon online store. And here’s what they have to do to claim the cashback from a participating Authorised Canon Australia retailer:
Eligible Claimants must:
– visit canon.com.au/claim;
– input the requested details including full name, a valid email address, bank account details if the Eligible Claimant wishes to receive the cash back via electronic funds transfer (EFT) and submit the fully completed online claim by 11.59pm (AEDST) 30 October 2014; and
– mail a copy of the tax invoice (proof of purchase) together with a printed copy of the claim form to “Canon Cashback, PO Box 710, Eastern Suburbs MC, NSW 2004 in time to be received by last mail on 30 November 2014…Cash backs will be paid to the Eligible Claimant named on the claim form within 30 days of Canon verifying the claim by way of a non-negotiable cheque OR electronic funds transfer (EFT). It is the responsibility of the participant to provide correct details. Delays and non-payment of claims that arise as a result of supplying incorrect name or address are the responsibility of the participant to be accepted as a condition of participating in this promotion. Cash backs are not transferable or assignable. Any bank transaction fees associated with the clearance of the cheque is the responsibility of the Eligible Claimant.
Readers of a venerable age may recall a famous ad campaign which posed the question, ‘Which twin has the Toni?
(From newsletter Issue 257)