As first flagged in ProCounter back in November 2014, Sony Australia is launching a support program for professional photographers, called Sony Pro Support.
The program is targetted at the increasing number of professionals opting for Sony Alpha series cameras, and offers a premium level of servicing and support ‘specifically designed for the professional community’.
(By uncanny coincidence, an Australian photographer attracted international attention last week when he posted a 16-minute video complaining about a lack of professional-grade service for his Alpha A7R II. So the Sony PRO initiative could perhaps be described as almost timely!)
To qualify for Pro Support, you will need to be a photographer earning the majority of your income from photography, as well as own the following equipment:
1. Two Sony Alpha camera bodies, at least one of which is full frame; and
2. Three Sony (G / G Master / Zeiss) lenses.
Professional photographers can register their interest for the Pro Support program at http://www.sony.com.au/prosupportprogram with the program slated to commence within the first half of 2016. Cost of the membership is AU$149 per year.
Vivek Handoo, head of Digital Imaging, Sony Australia & New Zealand, (pictured right) said the launch of the program reflected a growing proportion of pro photographers using Sony Alpha as their camera system of choice.
‘Professional photographers are a lot tougher on their equipment than regular users. With Pro Support, we are offering Sony Alpha users a more robust support system that gives them confidence they can count on Sony’s best-in-class digital imaging products for day-to-day business use.’
Pro Support offers the following benefits and privileges to members:
– Dedicated phone line and email support manned by an Australia-based tech support team of digital imaging specialists;
– Expedited, three-day turnaround on repairs for products within the warranty period (excluding delivery time);
– Free shipping to and from the service centre;
– 20 percent discount on parts and labour for out-of-warranty repairs;
– Emergency loan equipment if repairs take longer than three days or in special circumstances;
– Two complimentary clean and maintenance checks (up to two products per service) each membership year;
– Updates on new Sony Alpha products and promotions.
Sony also announced its Alpha Ambassadors for 2016, at an event in Sydney last Friday ‘chosen for their enthusiasm for the brand and excellence in their respective fields of photography’. They are Mark Galer, Ta-ku, Stefan Haworth, Craig Parry, Steve Axford and Gabe Hutcheon.
For an extended rant on Sony and its challenge to the Canon-Nikon pro duopoly (including the necessity for a Sony pro support program) click here.