– So much for Non-Disclosure Agreements: Full specifications, announcement date, the whole box and dice seem to be floating around in the camera fanboy blogosphere. There’s even a EOS 5DS Facebook page! Spare a thought for the media outlets bound to secrecy by signing an NDA while the ‘outsiders’ are free to make hay…
(However, it has to be emphasised that we can’t be certain here at Photo Counter whether the ‘S’ and ‘R’ in the new cameras’ names are lower or upper case!)
The new cameras feature a full frame 53-megapixel sensor with 50.6 megapixels effective. One of the two new cameras, the 5DS R has no low pass filter, something like the Nikon approach with the D800/D800E.
One ‘maybe, maybe not’ element is conjecture that the new sensor is a joint venture of sorts between Sony and Nikon, with the sensor based on Sony Exmor design but with added DualPixel technology from Canon. Sounds slightly confected (in more ways that one) and it wouldn’t have been the sort of thing Canon would be drawing attention to in pre-release media briefings anyway, so let’s wait and see…
Other key specifications are that the cameras will have, like the 5D MkIII, 61 AF points, 41 of them cross type. Sensitivity range is quite modest – from ISO100 – 6400. (There is further, less confident talk of another EOS 5D model later in the year with much better low-light performance.)
Continuous shooting is also modest at 5 frames per second – understandable with the size of files generated by that 50-megapixel sensor.
Flash synch is 1/200 sec and you don’t get 4K video – top resolution is 1920×1080 at 30 fps.
The new cameras weigh in at a hefty 930g, including battery.
Other specs being published here and there are:
– 3.2 inch LCD 1.04 million pixels
– RAW (50MP), M-RAW (28MP), S-RAW (12.4MP)
– CF (UDMA7), SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I)
– Crop modes 1.3x and 1.6x
– 100 percent field of view
– Magnification 0.71 times, eye point 21mm
– Electronic Level
– Grid display
– EV-2 support.
– Itr AF
– Time-lapse movie
– Bulb timer
– Face recognition during live view
– 150K pixel RGB-TR metering sensor
– 252 zone TTL metering
– Shutter speeds is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds
– Mini HDMI output terminal
– External microphone terminal
– Battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
– Dimensions 152 x 116.4 x 76.4mm
Launch date is late March, early April.