CR Kennedy has announced the Australian release of the sophisticated Pentax MX‐1 digital compact camera.
The MX-1 has classical looks reminiscent of the days of film. Key features include an optical 4x zoom lens with a maximum aperture of f1.8 to f2.5, a relatively large area 1/1.7-inch back-illuminated CMOS sensor, and SLR-like operability.
The MX-1 is on sale now in either black or silver, at an RRP of $499. This is actually under the street price in the US, so retailers can be confident in reassuring their customers there’es nothing to be gained shopping around on offshore-online websites.
– Large‐aperture, optical 4X zoom lens, ideal for low‐light shooting and high‐quality image definition The MX‐1 also provides a 1cm Macro mode to capture dramatic close‐up images of a subject from just one centimetre away. An ‘Intelligent Zoom’ function extends the zoom coverage up to approximately 7.8X (for a focal length of approximately 218mm in the 35mm format) ‘without compromising image quality’.
– Back‐illuminated CMOS image sensor to optimise image quality in high‐sensitivity shooting. With a top sensitivity of ISO 12800 and approximately 12 effective megapixels, it boasts remarkable high‐sensitivity, low‐noise characteristics to deliver super‐high‐resolution images. Supporting the sensor is a state-of‐the‐art imaging engine utilising the latest Super Resolution technology, to produce clear, high‐quality images with well‐defined details. In addition, the MX-1’s Handheld Night snap mode helps the photographer capture blur‐free night‐time images by taking multiple images at one time, then combining them into a single composite picture.
Classic design – but with tilt-able LCD monitor. With its textured‐rubber grip, and brass top and bottom panels that develop a distinctive appearance after years of use, the MX‐1 offers a classic design reminiscent of traditional film cameras. It also features a number of metallic parts, including the lens ring, to further complement the high‐class finish. A pop-up auto flash and a large tilt-able high-definition (920,000 dot) LCD monitor complete the package.
– In‐body RAW files, exposure compensation dial, for SLR operability. The MX‐1 features a mode dial for swift, effortless setting of 10 different shooting modes — ranging from the hands‐off Auto Picture and the all‐purpose Programmed AE, to the more creative Aperture‐priority AE, Shutter‐priority AE and Metered Manual. What’s more, the MX‐1 comes equipped with a host of SLR‐standard features to further enhance operability, including advanced UI (user interface) functions, easy‐to‐access controls and in‐body
– Dual shake‐reduction system to assure sharp, blur‐free images
– Full HD‐standard movie recording for extended recording of high‐quality movies. The user can capture high‐quality, extended movie clips (with 1920 x 1080 pixels, at a 16:9 aspect ratio, and at a frame rate of 30 frames per second). It provides a dedicated movie recording button on its top panel to instantly start recording a movie from any shooting mode. It even offers creative movie capture mode — including a High‐speed Movie mode for slow‐motion playback and a Time‐lapse Movie mode for fast‐forward playback.
A micro‐HDMI terminal (Type D) is provided on the camera body for the output of recorded movies and sound to external devices.