The state of Western Australia was named Camera House Dealer of the Year at the Camera House AGM on Saturday, October 27 at the Novotel Manly Pacific Hotel.
In a departure from convention, the entire state membership was given the award for an outstanding contribution. Representatives from nine member stores were on hand to receive the award from Camera House chairman, Mark Alderson.
In his address to the AGM, general manager Paul Shearer is reported as saying:
– Overall purchases by Camera House with preferred suppliers grew 3.5 percent in a market that, according to suppliers, declined in units by 20 percent and where the ASP declined by 20-25 percent (it’s not clear whether this refers to camera sales only or all products);
– The group has grown from 92 to 99 stores, with a target of 115 stores by 2015. Mr Shearer claimed Camera House now has an 18 percent share of ‘the imaging market’ with a goal to lift this to 20 percent;
– Profits came in at $1.9 million compared to $2.2 million in 2011;
– The board has decided to provide approximately $1 million of profits into provisions;
– Panasonic was among brands which had a reduced presence in Camera House, while Olympus – Supplier of the Year – performed strongly, along with Canon and Nikon.
At the gala event, siblings Gerard and Sue Lewis were given a special award in celebration of the 140th anniversary of Thornton Richards Camera House Ballarat. Gerard and Sue’s father, the legendary Merv Lewis, was a founding member of Camera House, and in fact the ‘Merv Lewis Memorial Award’ for Supplier of the Year was named in his honour.
Olympus won its first Camera House Supplier of the Year award at the awards dinner, with Olympus managing director, Marc Radatt singling out account manager Paul Whelan for special acknowledgement.
‘We have worked hard for Camera House after coming out of several tough years and in particular, Paul has worked his heart out. This Award is welcome because it acknowledges our efforts as a team,’ he said.
‘Camera House has supported us around the country, and it is both fantastic and meaningful for us to accept this Award.’