The camera market is four-fifths interchangeables

Based on the latest CIPA figures, production and shipments of cameras from Japan are recovering following the Kumamoto earthquakes, with a more enthusiast-oriented camera industry emerging after the mid-2016 collapse in supply.

Shipments of interchangeable lens cameras are recoiveering following Kymamoto. When lens shipmenbts are combined with interchanble camera shipmebts, they reoresetn 80 percent

Shipments of interchangeable lens cameras are recovering following the Kumamoto earthquakes. When lens shipments are combined with interchangeable camera shipments, they represent 80 percent of the market in monetary terms, with compacts making up the other 20 percent.

For the year 2015, compacts still dominated the camera industry in terms of volume with 22 million units shipped compared to 13 million interchangeable lens cameras. But while compacts accounted for around 63 percent of units shipped they only made up 34 percent of the total in monetary (Yen) terms.

By August this year compacts and interchangeable lens models were approaching parity in the number of units shipped for 2016, with the edge to compacts at around 52 percent of the total. However, interchangeable lens cameras now account for 74 percent – let’s say three-quarters – of the value of the Japanese camera market.

When the value of lenses is added to the value of interchangeable lens cameras, this segment represent fully 80 percent of the Japanese camera and lens market, according to CIPA.

Down, down: Compact cameras are becoming a smaller slice of a smaller pie.

Down, down: Compact cameras are becoming a thinner slice of a smaller pie.

 

 

 

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Related Posts